Sunday 13 January 2013

Kala Cotton


Lovely raw Kala cotton arrived from Khamir this week for me. My plan is to blend it with merino and spin yarns from it. These I will take out to Kutch next month where we will dye them and I will weave them with undyed cotton to produce a range of ideas for artisans to incorporate into new textiles. That's the theory so I hope it works out!

It is still very full of debris from the cotton plants, as you can see from the close-up below.

   
So I carded my first batch a few times last night to remove as much as I could before blending it with white merino in a 60%wool 40% cotton mix. Here's the first 100gm ready for spinning.






1 comment:

  1. very exciting, i hope it works for you, fingers crossed here. We made some fab upcycled bags with the cotton ones you gave us at work will take pics this week and share, thanks for all the lovely goodies you gave us. This week we plan to make mini tote-bags with the lovely blue/red stripey fabric. Fun for all this week then...

    ReplyDelete